Monday, August 27, 2007

Short notes

I haven't blogged since late Friday evening, so for those of you awaiting a new post, I apologize for the delay. Sarah and I were in New Jersey for most of the weekend, sharing a Chilean syrah with old friends, having dinner with relatives, and occasionally doing things completely unfamiliar to us. For example, I got to pick shiso leaves right off the plants in my in-laws' backyard, a new and somewhat exciting activity for me. I love shiso. If your experience with Korean food is anything more than cursory, you probably know what it is. An old roommate, who is Korean, used to insist that the leaves were also called "beefsteak." I used to insist that he was insane. But now, years later, Wikipedia has proven him right. The moral is, some crazy people are right.
---
If you've ever tried writing daily in a diary, journal or blog, you'll sympathize with my struggle with discipline and consistency. On some days, I can't think of a single thing to write. On others, I want to write about fifteen different things, yet since those fifteen things all seem equally important, none of them seem particularly worthy. Regardless, I consider the self-imposed pressure to write every day to be healthy. Writing is more an act of will than a response to spontaneous inspiration. I read somewhere that the easier it is to read a piece of writing, the harder the writer had to work on it. Like many snippets of wisdom, I have no clue who first wrote this, so if you know, please leave a comment, so I can properly credit the source.
---
Speaking of comments, I disabled the login requirement for commenting several days ago, so you may comment away!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So I can't remember which blog I commented on before, so I scrolled through all of them and still couldn't find your response. Sigh..I'm not too good with blogs, I must say. Anyways, looking forward to seeing you in September!

Darren Philip said...

Click here, Joy. Looking forward to seeing you in September as well.

Anonymous said...

Darren, this is probably not it, but your post reminded me of Roger Angell's comment in his foreword to "The Elements of Style", about how E.B. White's prose is celebrated for its ease and clarity, but that maintaining this standard required endless attention.

I've been visiting often and been surprised to see something new on each visit - in truth, I was beginning to think you were knocking these posts out effortlessly while at the same time engaging in hand-to-hand combat with Agent Smith, like Neo. In the immortal words of.....someone, please keep on trucking.

Anonymous said...

Argh, did not mean to be anonymous. Defeated by comment function. Me Tarzan you Jane!

Darren Philip said...

Haha, Michelle. You may have posted as Anonymous, but you quoted the foreword to The Elements of Style AND evoked The Matrix. Who else could it have been?