Thursday, August 2, 2007

The beginning is the end

Welcome to One Year In New York City. For the next twelve months, I will be blogging about what it is like to live in one of the great cities of the world. This will be my only window of opportunity to attempt such an endeavor, because in exactly one year, if everything goes according to plan, my wife and I will be moving out of New York City. The beginning is, therefore, the end.

This blog is especially written for friends and family who do not live in, or have never been to, NYC, and would like to know what it is like. Before I moved here, New York had always been a bizarre place: a concrete, steel and neon jungle populated by fashion models, investment bankers, artists and businessmen. It was always busy, loud, crowded and intimidating, certainly not a place to call home. But when we got married three years ago, my wife and I moved to the City in order to reduce our commuting times to work. And I've come to realize that although NYC will always be bizarre to a degree, it has become our home, and what was once weird is now familiar and comfortable.

Obviously, the things I write about here will be especially pertinent to my own background, interests and activities. But every good blog is shaped by its readership as much as by its author, so I look forward to your comments and questions because they will eventually inspire new posts. After all, by creating this blog, I'm letting you into my life -- the least I can do is allow you to enrich and contribute to my life in some way.

Ready? Let's go.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You and Sarah are moving out of NYC in a year?? To where??? (It's funny reading your blog...I can hear your voice as I'm reading it:)

Darren Philip said...

Joy, we're probably moving to Jersey City, just across the river. Not too far away, but it'll definitely be different.

Anonymous said...

Hi Darren,
On Thursday 2 August at 8:34pm WST (Australia), Matthew John St Clair was born. So it'll be an anniversary for both of you.
Sue