Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How to speak like a New Yorker III

If you've ever spent a significant amount of time enjoying New York City nightlife, you've probably heard the term "B&T" or "bridge and tunnel." This term I actually don't recommend using, only because I think it's derogatory and exclusionary in its most popular sense; B&T refers to people who aren't Manhattan residents but come into the city (via the bridges or tunnels) for dinner, drinks, or entertainment. The Urban Dictionary says it succinctly. Wikipedia has a more comprehensive description. My question is: are you still B&T if you came in by the Staten Island ferry?

1 comment:

hcduvall said...

If I may reverse condescend for a bit, I believe that Manhattanites think of Brooklyn as a fairy tale land, over the bridge and rainbow, and Staten Island just doesn't exist. Or something like that.