Monday, August 6, 2007

Cabbie fever

This morning, just as I was arriving at work, I heard a guy yelling on the street, right at the corner of Broadway and Spring Street. It turned out to be a cab driver who had gotten out of his vehicle and was screaming at the driver of a Boar's Head delivery truck in the next lane. At least it would have been the next lane but for the fact that they were on a one-lane street. The cab driver threw his coffee cup (or fat-free raisin bran muffin or something -- I couldn't really tell) at the truck. The truck driver ducked inside his vehicle, and passersby were literally running for cover. Then the cabbie realized he had nothing else to throw, so he popped his trunk and got a tire iron. That's when the truck driver drove off. And that's when I slipped inside my building.

Someone was obviously having a case of the Mondays.

More about cabs and cabdrivers in New York City:

NYC Taxi Cab Rider Bill of Rights
NYCabbie - lots of cab-related information
New York Hack - a female cab driver's blog
And finally, an article about Ahmed Ibrahim, a 52-year-old cab driver who plays matchmaker with his passengers. My wife and I had never heard of him until we happened to hail his cab about a year ago. We got in, told him our destination, and he said, "Have you ever heard of Cupid's Cab?" Our driver turned out to be a minor celebrity.

No comments: