Wednesday, January 2, 2008

One embarrassment at a time

Yesterday, I ran out to buy toilet paper. The Duane Reade on Broadway was closed (what with it being New Year's Day and all), so I went to the deli around the corner. I bought a four-pack of Cottonelle rolls (the one with the puppy on the wrapping, because nothing makes me think of toilet paper like a yellow labrador retriever).

Sarah and I hate plastic bags. They clog waterways, cause illness in sea turtles, and take a thousand years to degrade in landfills. So when I paid for my toilet paper, I declined the plastic bag and just picked up the rolls and walked out. And yes, it did seem sort of weird to walk down a Manhattan street carrying nothing but toilet paper. It must have seemed weird to the group of people who walked past, because some of them laughed and I know they were laughing at me because I heard one of them say something something toilet paper something.

But... my temporary -- and probably unwarranted -- embarrassment was a small price to pay. For there will now be one less sea turtle with gastrointestinal distress out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maui dolphins and Hector's dolphins have the same problem too, because they inhabit shallow coastal waters:

http://gliving.tv/nature/endangered-hectors-dolphins/

They mistake them for squid.