Sunday, January 6, 2008

Bamn for your buck

A week ago, we took a walk on St Mark's Place. I was on a quest to find a Lightning Bolt album (and figured erroneously that at least one obscure East Village record store would have it in stock). Shopping fruitlessly, I'm sure you'll agree, is tiring and hunger-inducing, and since we were meeting friends for dinner in a couple of hours, I needed something cheap and small and savory to tide me over.

That's how we ended up at Bamn!, an automat the likes of which haven't been seen in New York for fifteen years. You get loose change from a machine, then exchange it for all kinds of fast food at another machine. I passed up the two-dollar cheeseburger and went for chicken fingers (also two dollars, for two average-sized pieces of breaded fried chicken meat, plus honey mustard sauce). They were pretty good. This made me think about what other kinds of food you can get for about two dollars in New York. Here's a short list:

Cup of Dannon yogurt and two bananas from a deli. Junior bacon cheeseburger and small fries at Wendy's. Hotdog with sauerkraut from a street vendor. Slice of cheese pizza (no toppings) from the corner pizza joint. Empanada from a local cafe. Tall coffee from Starbucks. Here's hoping that, someday, the price of a slice of New York cheesecake will fall back down to $2.00.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi cous, if I ever find myself in New York again (last time I was a 9 yr old kid), I would like to have (1) a piece of New York cheesecake (2) a reuben sandwich (3) a chocolate sundae. And I would be counting on you to direct me to the best places to have these.

Darren Philip said...

No problem, Sue! I even know a place where they make kid-sized cheesecakes, so each of your little ones can have one.