Friday, January 25, 2008

Aye tunes

People used to ask me all the time what music I listen to. And I used to tell them that I listen to everything except country. It's a pretty standard response, especially in this part of the States. When I asked other people the same question, I often got the same response.

But that was a long time ago. Today, I do listen to country (Laura Cantrell, Faith Hill and Johnny Cash, if you're curious). I mean, I'd have to like country music if I listened to as much Christian worship music as I do. And, in fact, I heard lots of country music growing up, in the vein of Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton and John Denver, who were among my dad's favorites.

If you're wondering what kind of music I listen to now, I give you my list of nine songs I listened to the most number of times in 2007 (based on strength of melody, how they hold up to repeated listens, quality of production, and general awesomeness).

"Hard Sun" Eddie Vedder
Brought tears to my eyes and shivers to the back of my neck on first listen, even if Eddie didn't actually write it.

"Slow Show" The National
Not the best song on Boxer. But it's the one with the greatest piano refrain.

"Atlas" Battles
From the year's best album, Mirrored.

"Reckoner" Radiohead
The drums and percussion on this one are astounding.

"Spilt Needles" The Shins
Amazing drum pattern, excellently recorded.

"Straight Lines" Silverchair
I was just stoked to hear Silverchair on the radio twelve years after Frogstomp.

"Come Right Out and Say It" Relient K
Very typical Relient K, but richer harmonies and tighter instrumentation elevate it.

"1234" Feist
The best mainstream single of 2007 (Rihanna's "Umbrella", though good, doesn't come close).

"Detlef Schrempf" Band of Horses
Most atmospheric song named after an ex-NBA player ever.

Bonus: Any of the following off Björk's Volta album: "Declare Independence," "Earth Intruders," "The Dull Flame of Desire," and "Innocence."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darren, no Menomena? Their album "Friend and Foe" came out early 2007 I think; a year later the intricate and shifting layers of drum and piano in "Wet and Rusting" still make for an absorbing listen.

Darren Philip said...

Alas, Michelle, I have not been much exposed to Menomena, against whom I hold an unfair and irrational prejudice because I hate the name of the band! (Of course, I relaxed this petty standard for the band Toad the Wet Sprocket.) I believe you, though. I've heard "Wet and Rusting" and it is very good.