Friday, November 23, 2007

In the black

Today is Black Friday, but it is also Buy Nothing Day, an initiative against any shopping whatsoever. In years past, I didn't really spend any money on Black Friday, and I felt sort of proud of that, even if I wasn't intentionally aligning myself with the more proactive supporters of the shopping moratorium.

This year, however, Guitar Center, that (un)friendly neighborhood behemoth of a musical instrument retail store, did me in. Those calculating fiends! They sent me a 20%-off-any-one-item coupon in the mail, as if knowing that I'd been eying that new Electro Harmonix stompbox. Plus, they made the coupon valid for two hours only, between 8:00 and 10:00 this very morning.

So I woke at 9:00, rushed out to Guitar Center on 14th Street, and bought. I bought! For the first time in years, I bought something on Black Friday. And you know what? I can now make my guitar sound like an organ. Some things are worth getting up at nine on a holiday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i was in line to pay for my goods by 4:15 am.